Bus Accident Lawyer Bronx
In New York City, because it is expensive and inconvenient to keep a car, more people rely on public transportation than in nearly any other part of the country, and that often means riding a bus. Whether traveling to and from work or taking a weekend trip, riding the bus is often the most convenient and least costly way to get around. With the abundance of buses negotiating the city’s heavy traffic, it is inevitable that mistakes will be made that cause accidents. When someone else’s negligence causes an accident, the injured parties or survivors of a family member killed in a wrongful death accident, are often able to recover compensation for their damages in a legal action with the help of a well trusted, experienced Bronx bus accident lawyer.
Driver Error: The Number One Cause of Bus Accidents
The majority of bus accidents are caused by driver error. Poor driving may be the result of alcohol or drug impairment, distraction, fatigue, lack of proper training, or poor judgment. Speeding, aggressive driving, and inattention are often to blame.
After the Accident
The steps you take after the accident can make a significant difference in the outcome of your accident case. If you are physically able to do so take these steps:
- Photograph the accident scene, including all vehicles involved and geographic landmarks, such as street signs.
- Get the name, license, and badge number of the driver.
- Write down the name of the bus’s owner, the route number, and the plate number.
- Get contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- Avoid discussing your physical condition with anyone. Don’t even say I’m okay. Leave that determination to your doctor.
- Get medical attention as soon as you can. Have another passenger or police officer call an ambulance if you need immediate attention.
- Call the law office of Bronx bus accident attorney Dino J. Domina and arrange for a consultation.
- Do not give a recorded statement to any insurance company. Do not sign any authorizations, releases, or other documents. If anyone at all asks you to record a statement or sign anything, refer them to your attorney. Do not engage with an insurance adjuster on your own. Leave it to your lawyer.
- Return to your doctor for all scheduled appointments. Follow the doctor’s instructions exactly. If your doctor gives you a prescription, fill it. If your doctor says avoid lifting, avoid it.
Who Is Liable for Your Injuries?
If injuries or fatalities occur, the owner of the bus— in many cases the New York City Transportation Authority (NYCTA) or the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA)—or the driver, may be held liable for the damages the victims have incurred, if you can prove negligence. In some cases, the bus is owned by a private company and may be subject to federal regulation if it operates across state lines. An example would be a private tour bus.
To make a claim for compensation, you will need to hire a Bronx personal injury lawyer who is thoroughly familiar with the differences between a bus accident and a car accident, which government regulations apply, and if the accident was caused by a city bus, how a claim against a government department is handled. In cases where another vehicle is involved, your bus accident attorney will determine if that vehicle was fully or partly to blame for the crash, in which case that owner and driver may also be liable for your damages. If road conditions contributed to the accident, that might create a cause of action against the government department responsible for road maintenance.
Result-Oriented Legal Assistance in the Bronx
Although there is nothing in the law preventing you from doing so, because of the many complexities that may arise following a bus accident, you should never attempt to negotiate a settlement on your own, but should make sure that you have a seasoned personal injury attorney working for you. In the Bronx, a top choice for a lawyer is bus accident attorney Dino J. Domina, with 20 years of bus accident experience and a reputation for excellence.
Your bus accident lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation, bringing in experts to help analyze the bus accident and testify on your behalf if your case goes to trial. He will handle all negotiations with the insurance company, file your claim with the court in a timely manner, and, where applicable, with appropriate government agencies. He will compile medical records and other records to document your injuries. Your Bronx bus accident attorney will include a claim for your economic damages, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and out of pocket expense, as well as damages that affect your quality of life, such as pain, suffering, and disability.
While Dino Domina is often able to settle personal injury claims outside of court, he is at his best in the courtroom, where he knows how to present a well-argued and thoroughly prepared case to persuade the jury to do right by you.
Contact Bronx Bus Accident Attorney for Legal Advice
The law in New York City places restrictions on the amount of time you have to file your claim. If you miss a filing date, you could lose your right to sue for compensation. At Domina law we will ensure that all deadlines are met and protect your right to recover money for any personal injury or damages resulting from a bus accident. Contact our experienced Bronx auto accident lawyers on 718.962.0600 today for a free consultation.