Bronx Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
The American population is graying, and as the baby boom generation joins the ranks of our nation’s senior citizens, long term care for the elderly is becoming a more pressing concern than ever before. As more of our older citizens are having to live out their later years in nursing homes, reports of abuse in these facilities are on the rise. Be unknownst to you, it is possible that you or a family member is a victim of nursing home negligence or abuse. Read on to learn more on how a Bronx nursing home abuse lawyer from Domina Law can help you to better understand the compensation you and your loved one deserve.
The physical, verbal, psychological, sexual, and financial abuse, includes but not limited to:
- Rough handling of a resident;
- Verbally abusing a resident by yelling, cursing, insulting, etc.
- Humiliating or threatening a resident
- Failing to change the position of a bedridden patient, resulting in bed sores
- Failing to treat bed sores
- Neglect of personal hygiene
- Failing to provide appropriate nutrition
- Allowing the patient become dehydrated
- Tying the patient down with restraints
- Ignoring a patient’s call light or ring for assistance
- Failing to protect the patient from aggression or abuse by other residents
- Hitting, pinching, slapping, shoving, or punching a patient
- Sexual abuse
- Gaining access to a resident’s bank accounts
- Stealing personal property from a resident
How Common is Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse?
Very common. The National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA) and the Elder Maltreatment Alliance monitor reports of neglect and abuse. These are some of the relevant numbers the two organizations have reported:
- Ninety-one percent of nursing homes lack sufficient staff to properly care for their residents
- Thirty-six percent of nursing homes have violated of elder abuse laws
- More than half of the staff that responded to one survey admitted to being guilty of mistreating older patients in their care during the prior year.
- Only one in every fourteen cases of abuse ever comes to the attention of authorities according to the most conservative estimates; but other studies show this number to be only one in every twenty-four cases.
- Nursing home residents over age 80 are abused two to three times as often as younger residents.
Don Domina is tireless in the pursuit of justice for those whose trust has been betrayed. As nursing home abuse attorneys in the Bronx, the firm is on your side in identifying lapses in the standard of care and proving liability.
What to Do if You Suspect Abuse
We recommend dropping in unannounced for periodic visits is the best way to get a feeling for the quality of care in a nursing home. Question caregivers about any bruises, injuries, bed sores, or lack of personal hygiene, or about signs of fear, anxiety, or depression in the patient. Note any evasive responses.
No one, and certainly not those who are old, weak, and vulnerable, should have to live with abuse. If your family has had to make the difficult decision to place an elderly family member in a nursing home and suspect that your loved one has become a victim of negligence or outright abuse, you need to do two things:
- Put an immediate stop to the neglect and/or abuse. Call senior services to investigate. Consider moving the patient to a different facility as quickly as possible.
- Call Bronx nursing home abuse attorney Dino J. Domina. You may be able to obtain financial compensation for the victim, which will enable your family to provide better care for your loved one, as well as holding the home and its staff accountable for the harm they’ve done.
At Domina Law we are client-focused law firm. We keep you involved and informed in the decision-making process
Legal Assistance from a Professional Bronx Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
You can get your loved one, or surviving family members of a patient who has died from neglect or abuse, support and assistance in filing a claim for financial compensation against the party responsible for the abuse when you call a Bronx nursing home abuse lawyer. Dino Domina is a Bronx injury lawyer that limits his law practice to personal injury cases, and is familiar with the nuances of this difficult and demanding area of the law with particular focus on nursing home abuse. For twenty years, he has worked tirelessly to protect the rights of clients who have been injured or lost family members due to the negligence or deliberate wrongdoing of others. With his great care and compassion as a Bronx nursing home abuse attorney, he has been chosen for recognition as a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine every year since 20111, and has earned the respect of clients and colleagues in the legal profession for his skill, ethics, and commitment to excellent representation of each of his clients.
Your initial consultation is entirely free, and you will never pay for legal fees or expenses unless you recover compensation. Contact us today to help stop abuse. As nursing home abuse lawyers in the Bronx, we know how the New York State law limits the amount of time in which you can file, so make your call right now on 718.962.0600 and avoid losing your right to hold these wrongdoers responsible for what they’ve done.